Monday, March 29, 2010

Warm Goat Cheese, Beet, and Pink Grapefruit Salad


This baby can be considered an Inna Garten meets Jaleo meets necessity. At Knaus Berry Farm, the Amish sold these absolutely beautiful red beets and some truly succulent butter lettuce. Having recently been introduced to the goodness of beets by my friend Jaime, I had to try and make them for my family at home. We are not by nature a beet-eating people, but we are goat cheese and grapefruit eaters. I whipped this up as a healthy lunch for my mom and dad and it was delish and relatively simple (but totally worth it).
1. Peel and dice beets, season with salt, pepper and olive oil. Place in a foil covered baking dish for about 45 minutes. (This you can do ahead)
2. Peel and section a pink grapefruit reserving some of the juice to make the vineagrette.
3. Crack an egg and beat it. Dip slices of soft goat cheese and then coat in seasoned bread crumbs. (We had to use crushed saltines, not having had bread crumbs in the house, but I would go with the bread crumbs if you have the option). Sautee the breaded slices in a skillet with a bit of olive oil until golden and soft inside.
4. Prepare the viniagrette. 1/4 cup pink grapefruit juice, 1/2 cup olive oil (really good quality stuff) and salt and pepper to taste.
5. Break up the butter lettuce. Toss with the beets, grapefruit and dressing and top with a piece of the warm goat cheese.
Mmmm, mmmm! Healthy, colorful and delicious!

6 comments:

Capitol to Capital said...

This is so up my alley. Also, I appreciate how concise this post is--picture, explanation, instructions. I find myself zoning out when faced with super long blog posts.

Arroz con Mango said...

Thanks :)

Unknown said...

This is really good!

Jaimy and Bret said...

Just saw this... I never thought of grapefruit!! Sounds delicious :)

M said...

Instead of saltines or breadcrumbs, try finely chopped pecans or finely chopped pistachio nuts!

Arroz con Mango said...

I like this idea!